I love to bake my own cakes for every occasion I can think off. Especially when it is somebody’s birthday! And people know that… I remember one time I bought a cake for my birthday, and everyone was disappointed that I haven’t baked it myself. Even I was disappointed! So, lesson learned: I’ll always bake my own cakes.
But I totally get it, because we all know how easy it is to buy a cake or a box of cake mix. But let’s be honest, homemade from scratch is so much better. And above all the flavor and freshness are so worth it. If you have never baked a cake from scratch, you will be surprised at how simple it is. Most of the time you even have all the ingredients on hand!
But I’m not only baking when it is someone’s birthday, I love to bake just to relax. And after this week I needed it. This week was mostly filled with lots of work, deadlines here, last minute requests there and the house was not getting more organized by it. That’s the reason why the weekends are so important for me. My moment to fully reload. This weekend was a very nice one. It was typically Dutch autumn weather (officially it isn’t autumn yet..) and I was craving some comfort food while it was raining outside. One thing I always like is homemade apple cake. Only the smell off the warm apples with cinnamon will give you a comforting warm feeling. It is also a delicious, easy and perfect cake to share with family and friends.
I guess we all have one of those go to recipes for instant comfort. Share your recipe and I might give it a try! Until that time, you’ll find my recipe below.
Hope you’ll enjoy it!
Easy apple cake
- Cake pan
- Aluminum foil
- Mixer (electric or by hand)
- 100 gram Flour
- 75 gram Granulated sugar
- 25 gram Vanilla suger
- 100 gram Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Apples
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon Optional
- Gather all the ingredients and let it come to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Prep you cake pan with butter and flour.
- Peel the apples and cut them in small cubes.
- Put the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the egss one by one while mixing.
- Add the flour and mix until the mixture is nice and fluffy.
- When the mixture is fluffy add the apples and mix well using a spatula.
- Pour everything in your prepped cake pan and cover with some aluminum foil. Bake the cake with the foil for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges by running a knife along the sides of the pan.
- Turn the cake and let it cool for 60 minutes. Or let it cool for 15 minutes so it will still be a bit warm. (Remember this for the cold and rainy days for some instant comfort!)