Ever since we have our new kitchen, we have a way bigger oven. And one thing I always loved to make when I still lived at my parents, was a pizza from scratch. Most of the time I used pre-made pizza dough, but ever since I found out my belly gets upset from plain wheat, I make a lot of things from scratch. Because they are very overpriced at the store or not even available. So, since we are able to eat pizza from scratch, also the pizza dough is made from scratch. Where lots of people think it is a big chore it is actually pretty easy and very good adjustable for every kind of allergy.
I must admit, it did take me some tries till I got the hang of it. At first, I used whole grain spelt flour. That wasn’t a success for taste, it was too grainy. So then came the plain spelt flour, but I rolled it out to thick. Ok, next time a bit thinner. You can guess it right? To thin… It was a mess! I think I’ve got every failure now, so fourth time is a charm? And there it was, a perfect tasting with a perfect thickness pizza.
When we top the pizza, I usually go for all kind of cheeses. I am a cheese lover and most often when I’m in a restaurant I’ll order the four-cheese pizza too. But the best part is that you can top the pizza with whatever you like. You can go all classic with a Margherita or Quattro Stagioni. But you can also experiment with a Mexican touch with corn, beans and sour cream on top. Anyway, I love to share my go to pizza from scratch recipe with you and hope you’ll enjoy it just as much as we do!
Pizza from scratch
- 300 gram Flour
- 7 gram Yeast
- Pinch Salt
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 160 mililiter Handwarm Water
- 150 mililiter Tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian Herbs
- 100 gram Cheese
- Any topping you like
Making the dough
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl until it is a nice and smooth dough. It should be a bit elastic now.
- Grease a bowl with oil and put the dough in it. Cover with a clean towel and let it rest for 45 minutes till the dough is doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven on 200 degrees Celsius.
- When the dough is done you separate it in 2 parts and roll it in it's form. You can make it classic round or the shape of the sheet you'll be using. You can try out a bit of a thicker dough if you like that.
- Now bake only the dough in the oven for about 5-10 minutes. Depending on how thick your dough is.
Top your pizza
- Get the pizza out and cover it with tomato sauce, Italian herbs and cheese.
- Add any other toppings you like. Use a different kind of cheeses or try out some vegetables. Put it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes and enjoy your homemade pizza!